Jan 17, 2011

design plan: charlottes room

when we finally find house #6, 
one of the first rooms i am going to work on is my
9 year old daughter charlottes room. 
everything in her room right now was 
"leftover" from house #2, when olivia and
charlotte were sharing a room. it's "cute",
but she wants something new, and so do i.
i have been going back and forth on what 
to do, but when my grandma gave me this
paint by numbers that she did in 1962
i knew i had my inspiration.
aren't the colors great?
i love the taupey greys + the white +
shrimpy/salmony pinkish-oranges + 
the little doses of yellow. 
i think the colors are fun enough for a
kids room, but still really sophisticated.
my grandma gave me the above painting,
and the one with the roses (below)to my sweet
sister in law, nicole. i have
been hunting for a duplicate so i could
have a coordinating pair, and just 
found one on etsy. yay!

here is what i am considering:

to see more of the "stuff" my grandma gave to

me, click here. it's actually pretty funny...


sources:
damask bedding-target
orange linen-denver fabrics
alexis ceramic table lamp/sundrop yellow-pottery barn
vintage bamboo nightstand-ebay
pagoda headboard-wisteria (no longer available)
quadrille- flora background/shrimp on tint
quadrille- persepolis/melon/camel on cream
joel dewberry- herringbone/maple
premier prints- cadence/corn yellow/linen
multi color tassel fringe-ls fabrics 
flat trim gimp-ls fabrics
mini arch top lantern-circa lighting
oval convex sunburst mirror-shop ten25 


i am going to attempt to make the head boards
 myself from fence boards.
i saw a finish on a headboard at the sundance
catalog outlet that i might try to copy.
several of these items are REALLY expensive,
(like the mirror and the light fixture...
and i am pretty sure that quadrille 
has a 5 yard minimim and that the fabrics 
are at least $100 a yard. yikes!
but now that i have a basic plan and some
 inspiration, i can start hunting at thrift
 stores, ebay and local consignment stores 
for look-alikes to my expensive pieces.
i have no idea when we will find house #6,
but i am going to have a great time 
planning a few rooms until then!


interested in working together to make your space 

more functional and beautiful?
e-mail me at autumnclemons@yahoo.com.



6 comments:

  1. So cool that you have inspiration from your grandmother's lovely painting. I want Charlotte's new room! Our guest room (used to be our out of the nest daughter's room) came from a shell mirror that we bought together when we live in Florida...works now that we live in Calif.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS The colors are sort of similar to Charlotte's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that my room was so sophisticated as a 9 yr old! I love the feminine feel but nothing overly girlie. It will grow with her. And like Classic Casual Home, I agree that its really nice that its your grandmothers painting. I cant wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Autumn! I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I've been thinking of the great advice you gave me for Avery's room and the wheels are turning.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would happily live in this room! Love that headboard--wish it was still available. If you make one, you must show us how!

    ReplyDelete